15 Mar Low Budget Eco-friendly Roofs
If you’re in the market for a new roof, then you already know how important the construction of this structure is to the overall safety and value of your home. Eco-friendly roofs are relatively new, but they offer a lot of advantages that traditional roofs cannot. An eco-friendly roof can help to lower energy costs and in some cases be relatively inexpensive to install. If you’re looking for some budget-friendly roofing options, ask your roofing contractor about these.
1. White roofs. A roof made of lighter color materials will absorb a lot less heat. This can significantly reduce your air conditioning bill in the summer. Even better, it often doesn’t cost any additional money to choose lighter colored materials over darker ones.
2. Metal Roof. These roofs can be made almost entirely of recycled materials. If you choose lighter colored metal planks, they can also help to reduce your energy bills. While the up-front cost is greater than a traditional asphalt shingle roof, these roofs can last nearly twice as long. That makes them a great long-term investment.
3. Recycled content shingle roof. Asphalt shingles tend to be the cheapest roofing option available, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be friendly to the environment. Look for shingles that include some recycled materials. These materials often come from construction waste that would otherwise be destined for a landfill.
4. Green roof. These roofs are a way to put a garden on top of your house. The soil and plants adds a thick layer of insulation, and you can put the extra green space to work producing vegetables and herbs for your family. While the upfront cost can be high, you’ll save money through lower energy bills and grocery bills for years.
5. Solar panels. This is another high upfront cost, but a lot of it can be defrayed through tax credits and financing plans. Solar panels can reduce your energy bill to nearly nothing, and in some cases even give you extra electricity that you can sell back to your local electric company.